WHEN: Sunday June 24 from 10am to 2pm – will be cancelled in case of rain, check www.friendsofthefarm.ca
WHERE: Ornamental Gardens west of the Prince of Wales roundabout.
As part of June Blooms, park in the Ag Museum lot (Pay & Display). The Friends of the Farm will be at the Farm entrance near the Museum parking area with additional information on garden tours and book signing. Light refreshments will also be available.
- The CEF Ornamental Gardens illustrate the Farm’s long history of horticultural achievement. They are a testament to the Farm’s unique blend of research, education and hybridization. Tours of the gardens will be conducted by the Friends’ Garden Teams.
- The Macoun Memorial Garden was created in 1933-34 to commemorate the life and work of the W.T. Macoun, Dominion Horticulturalist. Built on the site of his residence at the Farm, it features a formal perimeter gardens around a sunken garden and a pond with a fountain in its centre. Perimeter gardens are planted to reflect Macoun’s love of informal gardens.
- The Rock Garden, first planted in the early decades of the 1900s, is a magical, quiet and constantly changing garden which mingles sun, shade and a meandering pathway where a diversity of rock garden plants are combined with evergreens to provide year round bloom and interest.
- The Perennial and Annual Gardens showcase choice plants ideal for Ottawa’s climate. Each spring, Farm staff plant annuals that illustrate patterns of form, colour and texture. Perennial borders have existed at the Farm since the very beginning. A mixture of new flowers and long loved plants, these gardens demonstrate the size of mature plants in striking combinations. View the Perennials in the CEF Collections.
- The Iris and Daylily Gardens, designed in 2003, combine 10 semicircular beds and four corner beds to square the circle to form a Victorian style garden. The outer circle contains 160 daylilies. The middle circle highlights 80 bearded irises and the inner circle Siberian irises bred by Isabella Preston and other historic and award-winning Siberians. View the Iris and Daylily in the CEF Collections.
- Learn about plants that will work best in your garden and how to keep them happily blooming.
COST: Free admission, donations gratefully accepted during the tour
INFO: Email email@example.com or call 613-230-3276