WHEN: Saturday June 10 from 10am to 2pm – will be cancelled in case of rain, check www.friendsofthefarm.ca
WHERE: Ornamental Gardens west of the Prince of Wales roundabout.
Park in Ag Museum lot (Pay & Display). The Friends’ canopy will be at the Farm entrance near the Museum parking area with additional information on garden tours and book signing. Light refreshments will also be available.
- This year marks a double anniversary: Canada’s 150th since Confederation and the 125th anniversary of the founding of the Ottawa Horticultural Society (OHS).
- To celebrate, OHS and the Friends have joined forces to undertake a commemorative project with two components in the Ornamental Gardens at the Farm.
- On June 10 members of the OHS will be on hand to introduce these projects to visitors at the Ornamental Gardens.
- Research and Beauty: Hybridization and the CEF will be celebrated with information plaques in English and French permanently installed inside the pergola at the southern end of the Ornamental Gardens.
- One plaque introduces the project and plant hybridization at the Farm.
- Three other plaques detail the work of noted plant hybridizers connected to the Central Experimental Farm: Isabella Preston (lilacs), A.P. (Percy) Saunders (peonies) and Dr. Felicitas Svejda (Explorer Roses).
- QR codes allow visitors with smartphones to access more information on the Farm’s illustrious history of hybridization in Canada, and a general description of hybridization.
- Read the full story on page 10 of our Spring Newsletter 2017
COST: Free admission, donations gratefully accepted during the tour
INFO: Call (613) 230-3276 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org