WHEN: Saturday June 10 from 10am to 2pm
WHERE: Ornamental Gardens west of the Prince of Wales roundabout.
Park in Ag Museum lot (Pay & Display). The Friends will be “under the tarp” at the Farm entrance near the Museum parking area with additional information on garden tours and book signing. Light refreshments will also be available.
- This year marks a double anniversary: Canada’s 150th since Confederation and the 125th anniversary of the founding of the Ottawa Horticultural Society (OHS).
- To celebrate, OHS and the Friends have joined forces to undertake a commemorative project with two components in the Ornamental Gardens at the Farm.
- On June 10 members of the OHS will be on hand to introduce these projects to visitors at the Ornamental Gardens.
- Research and Beauty: Hybridization and the CEF will be celebrated with information plaques in English and French permanently installed inside the pergola at the southern end of the Ornamental Gardens.
- One plaque introduces the project and plant hybridization at the Farm.
- Three other plaques detail the work of noted plant hybridizers connected to the Central Experimental Farm: Isabella Preston (lilacs), A.P. (Percy) Saunders (peonies) and Dr. Felicitas Svejda (Explorer Roses).
- QR codes allow visitors with smartphones to access more information on the Farm’s illustrious history of hybridization in Canada, and a general description of hybridization.
- Read the full story on page 10 of our Spring Newsletter 2017
COST: Free admission, donations kindly accepted during the tour
INFO: Call (613) 230-3276 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org